Application for a Katharina Niemeyer-Grant for Language Editing
of a Dissertation not Written in the Author’s First Language
Application deadline: April 14, 2021
With the Katharina Niemeyer-Grants, the a.r.t.e.s. Graduate School – the graduate school of the Faculty of Arts and Humanities – supports the language editing of dissertations of both foreign and German doctoral students at the Faculty of Arts and Humanities that were not written in the author’s first language. Language editors could be students nearing the completion of their studies or graduate students specialising in the subject area of the dissertation who are natives in the language of the dissertation. In most cases, doctoral students propose a potential candidate. (Please note that the language editor needs a bank account in the EU). The a.r.t.e.s. Graduate School awards grants of up to 600 euros per applicant to cover the costs of the language editing. Unfortunately only a maximum of € 500 will be paid to abroad taxable lecturers, as these payments must be taxed by the university with 19% ("reverse charge procedure"). Grant applications are accepted twice a year at the start of the semester in April and October.
Required documents (in German or English language):
- curriculum vitae of the applicant
- a brief justification of the need for a Katharina Niemeyer-Grant and a brief justification of the suitability of the proposed language editor
- a time table for the completion of the applicant’s dissertation (Please note: Applications can only be submitted by doctoral students who are about to complete their dissertation.)
- a short statement by the first supervisor on the status of the dissertation and the feasibility of the time table
- curriculum vitae of the proposed editor detailing the knowledge and qualifications relevant to the language editing
- proof of enrolment at the University of Cologne
Please submit the requested documents (ordered as listed above) as one PDF via e-mail to artes-international(at)uni-koeln.de until April 14, 2021.