Examination and Registration
We recommend that all doctoral students consider changing to the doctoral regulations of 2020 and apply for this at the latest when registering for the exam (by e-mail to promotionsbuero-phil-fak(at)uni-koeln.de). Please note that it is not possible to change regulations afterwards.
In particular, the certificate of completion of the doctorate issued immediately after passing the examination and the explicit possibility of applying for permission to temporarily use the doctor title before publishing the dissertation (cf. §18) close a gap in earlier doctoral regulations and offer you clear advantages in the course of completing your doctoral studies.
We recommend that you carefully review the new regulations before you apply for the change:
Doctoral Regulations 2020
If you have any further questions, the staff of the doctoral office will be happy to help you.
- Until further notice, applications for the examination procedure will only be made digitally (application for doctorate via a.r.t.e.s. access).
Please send the dissertation (a PDF file) and all documents (scans collected in another PDF file) first by mail to: promotionsbuero-phil-fak(at)uni-koeln.de
Original documents as well as the required printed copies of the dissertation should also be sent by post:
University of Cologne
a.r.t.e.s. Graduate School for the Humanities Cologne
- All oral Dr.-examinations (Defensiones / Disputationes) in the winter semester 2020/21 are usually conducted as online video examinations (zoom) (link to the guidelines).
For all questions in this regard, please contact the doctoral office: promotionsbuero-phil-fak(at)uni-koeln.de
Upon submission of your dissertation, you will be registered for the oral examination. Please note the registration deadlines as specified below. In order to register, you are required to submit a specific number of copies of the dissertation, depending on the requested form of the oral examination as well as a number of additional documents.
Examination Dates Summer Semester 2021
- Examination day: Mai 05, 2021 (Registration deadline/submission of the dissertation: February 03, 2021)
- Examination day: Juni 02, 2021 (Registration deadline/submission of the dissertation: March 03, 2021)
- Examination day: July 07, 2021 (Registration deadline/submission of the dissertation: April 12, 2021)
Examination Dates Winter Semester 2021/2022
Disputatio and Defensio
- Examination day: October 20, 2021 (Registration deadline/submission of the dissertation: June 21, 2021)
- Examination day: December 01, 2021 (Registration deadline/submission of the dissertation: September 01, 2021)
- Examination day: January 19, 2022 (Registration deadline/submission of the dissertation October 06, 2021)
- January 28, 2022, 6:00 pm (Aula 2, main building of the University of Cologne)